Rules for teachers 1872
1. Teachers each day will fill lamps, trim
wicks and clean chimneys
2. Each morning teacher will bring a bucket
of water and a scuttle of coal for the day's session
3. Make your pens carefully. You may whittle
nibs to the individual taste of the pupils.
4. Men teachers may
take one evening each week for courting purposes, or two evenings a
week if they attend church regularly
5. After ten hours in school, the teachers
may spend the remaining time reading the bible or any other good books.
6. Women teachers who marry or engage in
unseemly conduct will be dismissed.
7. Every teacher should lay aside from
each pay a goodly sum of his earnings for his benefit during his declining
years so that he will not become a burden on society.
8. Any teacher who smokes, uses liquor
in any form, frequents pool or public halls, or gets shaved in a barber
shop will give good reason to suspect his worth, intention, integrity
9. The teacher who performs his labour
faithfully and without fault for five years will be given an increase
of twenty-five pence per week in his pay, providing the board of education